Sunday, August 19, 2012

And the list continues

"Sometimes, there are not enough sutures in the operating room," explains Dr. Celestin, one of the few obstetricians at St. Therese Hospital. I visited with him to get an update on how our midwives were delivering care and to hear his concerns. He reported that all were doing a fine job. His only issue at the time was with a lack of supplies. 
Magdala showing a student how to take a blood sample.
The maternity ward, along with the rest of the hospital, relies on supplies sent in by the government and  the nonprofit Partners in Health. All too often, supplies from the warehouse behind the hospital do not make it to the pharmacy inside the hospital. It's a simple matter of transporting vital materials from A to B. Yet, it doesn't happen all of the time or very well. 

Magdala gives a patient some instruction on medication.
So, this week I met with the head pharmacist and one of our midwives to talk about the issue. Both were very willing and receptive to some changes, and I thought our meeting was very constructive, but I was surprised that communication like that hadn't happened before. This issue will definitely be on my list to follow. 

Magdala showing the students a hemoglobin test.
Now, to our mobile clinic. I am posting some pictures, so you can get an idea of what it is all about. The mobile clinic is a crucial part of the MFH program. A group of three midwives travel to 16 rural locations around Haiti to provide pre- and post-natal care to women. They visit these sites each month, so that women can be educated in maternal care, receive important vitamins and medications, and receive the health care they deserve. I have gone to several clinics already and am happy to see so many women line up for their check-ups. I also get to help out too by preparing the pills. I sat for a good three hours on Tuesday counting out tylenol, prenatal vitamins, and iron pills into little bags. Even the simplest job can help!
Philemon listens for a fetal heart rate. 

Though more of a slower week, my To Do list never ends, and I am thankful for that. I am continuing my Creole lessons with my good friend Kenel, who lives at Maison Fortune Orphanage (Maison Fortune Site). Through our lessons, I have learned that he has dreams of becoming an agronomist and helping Haiti turn green again. Only one problem: he needs financial aid. Another item to go on the list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment