Sunday, April 14, 2013

Full House

A volunteer teaching on how to recognize a post-partum hemorrhage.
First and foremost, Midwives For Haiti has started its Spring Fundraiser to raise $50,000 by Mother's Day (May 12th). If you haven't come up with a nice gift idea for your mother, check out one at http://www.midwivesforhaiti.org/. Thank your mother and save another!

I sent off 11 volunteers yesterday. We had 13 total (in addition to the six residents in the house), and so there were literally bodies everywhere. Not to mention the constant flow of questions and inquiries like "where can I find _____" was coming from every direction.  I certainly have no problem now entertaining people while overseeing my routine duties, but I must say I was a bit more tired than usual by the end of the week!

Philomèn (one of our mobile clinic midwives
giving a class at one of the clinics.)
Before the week started, I helped see two successful trainings through - one was the MFH Continued Education Class that we hold for all of are graduates and the other was on HIV prevention for mothers and babies at the hospital. It's a good sign when other staff members ask when the next one is, so that they can take time off to attend the training. As you may already know, access to education in Haiti is difficult, and so any news of a "training" is welcomed by most Haitians. Especially ones that are free of charge.

One of my unexpected house calls this week was from one of our graduates who was working for an American-funded birth center in Northern Haiti. She had just lost her job. I think her idea of recompense was coming to MFH and complaining about why she thought she was let go. I had already communicated with the director of the organization and was already made aware of the reasons behind the decision. This midwife, however, thought it was appropriate to have her voice heard nonetheless. Though I listened to her throughout, I followed her story with a firm, "MFH is not responsible for the decision and cannot do anything to change it." We help find these midwives jobs once they complete the program, but we are not responsible for what happens after. This is a no-brainer in American society, but in Haitian culture, the idea of "community-help" comes at a different angle.

The usual sunny day at the house (a 20min walk from
the hospital). 
I think my love of chocolate has grown throughout my time here. Granted, it's the simplest thing that I can think of when a volunteer asks me what they can add to their suitcase. Do I ask them to bring a box of Ghirardelli brownies for my cravings or life-saving cytotec (for labor induction) and much-needed gloves?

Waiting to be seen at a mobile clinic.
Either way, my housemates are quick to notice wrappers and bags thrown in the trash. They remind me of a popular saying in Haiti that goes, "When you love something so much, then the doctor/midwife had cut your umbilical cord with that very thing." My Ob/Gyn must have used a blade sterilized with chocolate sauce then!




1 comment:

  1. Maybe there's a middle ground, like gloves with brownies in them... or chocolate flavored prescriptions; 2 birds, one stone!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaYAn9Uk2k4

    ReplyDelete