Saturday, July 7, 2012

First Day

I have made it safely to the Midwives headquarters in Hinche, Haiti. After a safe landing in Port-au-Prince at the Toussaint Louverture airport, there was a the usual scramble for bags, as multiple church and mission groups swarmed the baggage claim. I finally found mine and made my way to the signature pink jeep, which ended up being momentarily out of service. The replacement could hardly compare, but I did enjoy standing up in the back with the luggage. It was a wonderful way to see the countryside!

The midwives' home is gorgeous. We had a wonderful (and I say we because I met up with a University of Philadelphia CNM group) welcome by the MFH Haitian staff. They were all smiling when I said "I am the one who will be living here for a year." I am relieved! After a quick orientation, we all sat down for dinner. I think everyone was thankful to finally sit and take a deep breathe. For some of the women, this is their first visit. But for me, I am very excited and happy to be here. I think I am at home.

I am planning on blogging on a weekly basis. I hope you will be able to follow me throughout my stay and work here. I am already beginning a list of improvements, so there will be some exciting things coming up. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment