Saturday, July 14, 2012

Orientation Week

I have survived my first week here in Hinche better than I expected! Between answering questions I don't have answers to and fumbling over the Creole, I am quickly becoming acquainted with the routine here. Sundays in Haiti are basically no work days, and so the volunteers and I made our way to a Catholic service at an orphanage nearby. Sunday is also a day for the Americans to prep for the week. We tour the hospital, maybe walk through town, and get settled in at the house. For most on their first visit, Haiti is a lot to take in!

The week consists of class for the Haitian students, shifts at the hospital, and outings with the mobile clinic. My job as a host/manager, is to play the middleman. I help coordinate the agenda, transportation, and house items. Not a dull moment though! At least so far. I went with the mobile clinic to a rural location for the monthly visit. We saw women at all stages of pregnancy. On the way back, our jeep shut off going up a hill. Luckily for us, a truck was traveling the same way and pushed our jeep up the hill! I told the volunteer that I was with that I should have brought my AAA card.

 (Our AAA service)

Despite the issues that arise throughout the week, I am so happy to be working with such hospitable and caring people. They definitely know how to welcome foreigners and adapt when needed!

(The MFH House)

But I have an ongoing list of supplies needed, improvements to be made, and Creole to learn! I may just call myself a midwife by the end of this year because all I listen to are birth stories!

 
(A few of the first group at Bassim Zim cave)

The next group arrives today. I celebrate my 23rd birthday as well. I may be the youngest employee here, but I certainly don't feel like it! I am treated as an equal. 

(Welcome to Haiti: view from a waterfall in Bassim Zim)

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful week and happy birthday! Our AAA would tow, not push....kudos to the Haitians!

    ReplyDelete