Sunday, February 17, 2013

Carnaval

A look onto Fort Picolet, Cap Haïtien.
Driving up to Cap Haïtien was no easy task. It took a damn good driver, a few pit stops (to relieve my stomach), and a dollar or two to pacify the boys behind masks and doused in car oil (Mardi Gras here prompts road blocks). Despite the rough ride, we made it safely to the northern shore of Haiti where we were to join in on the Carnaval 2013 festivities. I traveled with two recent college grads from a partner clinic. They had the connections and the driver already set. Though I had invited myself along (I won't pass up an opportunity to explore more of the country), they were more than willing to include me on their excursion!
Imagine this street packed with people shoulder to shoulder.

We decided to tour the sites during the day and then stop by the parades and dancing downtown in the evening. The first one on the list was the Citadel. Built in the early 19th century, the castle-like fortress was meant to defend Haiti from the French. Though I don't think they ever did, an earthquake hit not too long after it was built and marked it as a World Heritage site. After a steep climb on motorcycles and a 30 min upward climb, the views were amazing.

Making our way up to the Citadel.
The first evening of experiencing Carnaval was a bit interesting. We really didn't know what we were getting ourselves into. Tons of people filled the streets as soon as the music started. Big trucks equipped with tall speakers and open tops carried the bands and other dancing guests. We made the mistake of trying to cross the street and paid for it. When I say that, I literally meant that we paid with our wallets (we got rushed and pickpocketed). Live and learn...



A view from within the Citadel.
Coming onto Fort Picolet.
Next on the list was to explore the city and the coast. A cold cup of chocolate ice cream (real ice cream) got us off to a good start. We made our way through where we had walked the night before until we decided to take a taxi to a site called Fort Picolet. There, we walked along a path that the guidebook had warned not to take at high tide until we reached the ruins of yet another fort built to protect Haiti from the French. Had some great views there and a brief interaction with a Voodoo man. Very casual.



Haiti's local beer advertised on the Boulevard.
To sum up the trip, on the last day in "Okap" I had my first cheeseburger in Haiti, viewed Carnaval from a much safer spot in the stands above the crowds, and had my ears blasted with some very loud Haitian and Dominican Republican music. Everyone back in Hinche asked if I danced. I said no because I didn't know how to dance like a Haitian... dance lessons are underway so maybe next time!
The travelers posing at the Citadel.
Posing at the Palace, a stop below the Citadel.






1 comment:

  1. Not knowing how to dance...that wouldn't have stopped me!

    ReplyDelete