Saturday, February 9, 2013

The story must be heard

Credited to Cheryl Hanna-Truscott

Waiting to be seen at the hospital.
Happy Valentine's Week! Haiti doesn't celebrate the day of love, but it does celebrate Carnival (translated as "Meat Farewell" in Creole), which is the Holy Month kick-off for the country. It's in Cap Haïtien on the northern coast of Haiti. I'm heading up there tomorrow afternoon and will include that trip in my next post!

I've been learning the ins and outs of a web designer program called Joumla. It's been a true test of my patience, but it has to be done. I have taught myself how to edit, create, and format articles and menus to put onto the Midwives For Haiti Website. I recently added the "Matròn Outreach Program." Check it out!

 I can't tell you how much of this program relies on social media. Volunteers have told us that all they did was do a quick Facebook or Google search to learn about the program. I'll get over my frustrations for monthly donations and new volunteers any day.
Newborn getting weighed in our labor and delivery room.
 Speaking of social media, I wrote the February E-Newsletter that goes out to all donors, volunteers, and the like. You can sign up to receive this on the MFH website.

As I mentioned in my last email, I am taking over the volunteer communication and planning process. This week has involved a lot of computer work, updating document after document after document.
Group photo with my housemates.

Aside from the general upkeep and public relations, I have been becoming a bit of a baker. This past week, I took our "off-the-street" hand ground peanut butter and baked some Haitian-style peanut butter cookies. They weren't too bad (at least to anyone with a sweet tooth). I have homemade brownies and dump cake in my repertory as well. I've been thinking about adding that to my "Skills" list of my CV. What do you think?
At the Women's Co-op checking out their embroidered work.
If you haven't been following us on Facebook or Twitter, you missed out on some great news the other day. We had 95 women come to our mobile clinic for pre- and post-natal care. That's a record high. The word is getting out, and more and more women are getting care.

No comments:

Post a Comment