Sunday, September 2, 2012

Bon Fèt

Bon Fèt Femnsaj pou Ayiti


“Do you have any gauze?” asks one of the midwives on staff. I had paid another visit to the hospital yesterday morning after the women’s English class. I brought along some supplies that the last group had left behind after their two-week stay. But I didn’t bring gauze. The midwife was using the end of a sheet instead. I told myself that I could bring in supplies all day but still not meet all of the maternity ward’s needs. Those type of materials can be retrieved from the pharmacy, barely a walk away from the ward. From my standpoint, it’s just a matter of checking what is needed before the day shift, so that items don’t run out. From theirs, well, I still haven’t figured that one out yet.


The big meal
I joined the visiting midwives for another nightshift on Wednesday. It was unusually still that evening, and so there wasn’t much relief from the hot and sticky air. There aren’t any fans, God forbid air-conditioning, and so you just have to make do – patients and staff. I did get to see a of couple births though, so that made up for the endless sweating. One little guy didn’t make it, unfortunately, and because there isn’t a NICU, not much could be done for him. The American midwives reminded me just how blessed they are to work in birth centers that are equipped with the technology to practically guarantee life. I nodded, sympathizing with the mother, and realized that at least she chose to come to the hospital where she could better guarantee her own life.

The group enjoying a picture slideshow and music.

On a more positive note, after recovering from the night shift, I did some shopping for the big fèt on Friday. All of the students, preceptors, hospital staff, and other friends were invited for a big meal that afternoon. The occasion – well, there wasn’t one. But, who can turn down a party?


I did what I could to help the cooks prepare for over 40 people, but I promised that I would take care of dessert. I found some cake mix at the local store and decided to add my coveted Ghirardelli brownies to the list. I learned how to make some icing, and with a little extra flavoring, the cakes turned out nicely. The brownies were gone before I could take a second glance, but I snuck in a bite while everyone else was still on the main course.
Some of the students.

 It was a success! Pictures included to prove it. Keep following! September’s schedule is picking up!

Students and preceptors posing in front of our jeep.





No comments:

Post a Comment