Sunday, September 30, 2012

For every thing there is a season

Final day of September! A busy month for all, I am sure, so thank you for taking the time to follow me!

Dieunie's kitchen and the makings of a great meal.

Before looking back on the week, I wanted to tell you about my day. I went over to my friend's house to help prepare and enjoy a meal. Dieunie, who is the MFH cook, was one of my first few friends when I arrived in Haiti. Very outgoing and warm, she talks to me as if I have known her her whole life. She also talks to me as if I understood Creole like any Haitian. Today, she invited Jenna and I to her home,  and we sat, talked, and prepared the meal for the day.

Only thing that's missing is the chicken.

The huge plate of marinated rice, chicken in a sauce, and beet and carrot salad (a typical Haitian meal) was wonderful. It took most of the day, however, to prepare it. It amazes me how much time goes into cooking. There's not time to do much else. But, for Dieunie, it doesn't matter. She is with friends and family and serving others at the same time. From her example, I think I need to change my perspective about learning to cook!

Neonatal resuscitation class for the matrons.
Thursday I continued to record information from the hospital birth logs. I will have to take a picture to show you, but they aren't pretty! Lots of ineligible handwriting and the occasional blank space. I am recording how many births each one of our graduates attends, as well as any complications and fetal deaths. So far, I am getting an average of eight fetal deaths a month. Hoping to decrease that number with time!



Now you demonstrate!

Every week with the usual coordinating and organizing, so nothing new there! We did have a party last week with homemade ice cream. Yummy! And, I took pictures at the post-graduation training for our birth assistants. Neonatal resuscitation!



The cream came all the way from Port-au-Prince. 

No comments:

Post a Comment