Monday, September 10, 2012

How many will it be?


I have been helping with an English class for Haitian women every Saturday morning at Maison Fortune. Brother Harry, who has lived in Haiti for almost 30 years and works at the orphanage, leads the lesson most of the time. We are at basic conversation level at this point, but this past weekend, I tried to broaden the vocabulary a bit. I printed out lyrics to follow Josh Groban’s version of “You Raise Me Up” from my computer. We sang and listened to each stanza and then reviewed the words. I knew it was a good class when I heard one woman humming the tune to herself as she was leaving. 

A matron student filling out her birth log. 

At one of the clinics, a midwife told me that one of the patients was due to have her 7th child. The woman said that her husband didn't believe in family planning. She looked to be in her 30s. I asked if she wanted condoms, but she shook her head no. 

Women aren't the only ones who need family planning!

 And, as usual, I finished the week attending the matron class (birth assistant training for a local community). This group is about to complete the course, so I have been recording more data for the number of births that the group has collectively been doing each month. The number of births they attend is approximately 50-100 each month. 

A matron student filling out her birth log. 
It's very exciting to see such high numbers and to know that this program will hopefully improve the delivery and care of newborns. Even the witchdoctor in the class has changed her perspective on pregnancy and laboring mothers. She practices Vodou, an African-based religion, and used to believe that preeclampsia-associated seizures were the work of evil spirits. Because of the course, she has since reported to the class that she sends those women straight to the hospital.

Another sunrise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment