Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pieces of the Puzzle

The matrons (in white) entering the church from the back of the church.
With the arrival of Nadene Brunk, MFH Executive, and Dr. Steven Eads, MFH Medical Director, I have been getting an inside look into the pieces that make up the organization. For instance, last Tuesday, I accompanied Nadene and Steve to a meeting with Dr. Laguerre, the Medical Director of St. Therese hospital in Hinche. We talked about midwifery pay, adding supervisors to the maternal ward, and supplies and labs. This relationship is crucial, from what I observed, to sustaining the program at the hospital and fixing all of the glitches in our services. From what I was told, the previous medical director wasn't so cooperative. And, that made all the difference.

One of the many songs performed at the graduation.
Last week, I was also busy with helping Jenna Schmitz, a CPM from Maine, with preparing for the matron (birth assistant) graduation on Sunday. From gifts, to food, to the event program, we were running around Hinche making sure everything was set for the big day.
Check out the pictures!
Jenna giving her speech. 

Though the singing and most of the speeches were great, sitting in a stuffy church during the hottest part of the day for three hours wasn't. I told Jenna that she really did do a great job of thinking of even the smallest of details to make that day special. She replied, "This is probably the only graduation the matrons will ever have. So, it was worth making it memorable."

All-boys choir. 


Now, with Nadene and Steve around, everyone in the house gets spoiled. We have butter and cheese, Nadene makes homemade bread, and Steve occasionally throws in a batch of brownies. With all of this, I don't mind the longer To-Do list!

Nadene giving her speech.

One more thing. On the mobile clinic yesterday, we saw 45 women! I went to the same clinic last month and didn't see half as many. The word is getting out. I can't say this about every locale we visit, but these women are seeing and FEELING the benefits of our care. I don't remember how many bags of pills I filled, but I was happy to do it.

One of our students checking the fetal heart rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment