Sunday, September 16, 2012

Midwife in Training?

The matrons had their final oral exam on Friday.
Blah! Blah! Blah! I am getting the goats confused with the children whenever I hear someone cry "White!" at the top of their lungs. It doesn't anger me (most of the time) but I can't help but hear the laughter trailing behind me from adults, as they comment about the white woman riding her bike alone down the street. I thought that I would have been old news by now, but, apparently, I am still entertaining to watch.

Taking the oral part of the exam.
I think I am going to designate the start of each week as Mobile Clinic Mondays from now on. I like to help the midwives get organized from the start. Some more baby clothes came in today, so I started putting them in baggies to be handed out this week. Between that, and doing a nightshift per week, I can get a lot of shadowing in! I have been learning the medications and when to give them, for one thing. 

How to put on sterile gloves for the "show me" part.
I won't go into too much detail, but there was one poor woman whose placenta didn't come out during my nightshift. I learned that if it won't come out after 40min, then you need to force it to. She and the baby were just fine after that though.





Part of my English class this weekend with Brother Harry.
Oh, and there are some new additions to the hospital! I helped direct two big supply cabinets to be put in our storage room. We have a motorcycle with a trailer, and so we took one by one slowly down the road to the hospital. You won't find any moving trucks down here! When MFH moved houses, they rented a dump truck to transport all of the furniture. Yikes!
Finally starting a composte bin at the house. 



No comments:

Post a Comment